Thursday, February 17, 2005

Thoughts on Integrating DNN 3.0 + CS 1.0

I've been playing around with both applications, and been thinking about how to merge these 2 wonderful applications together.

There are a few ways of doing it.

1. Rewriting the Membership/Role/etc providers and having both applications use the same providers. Then merging of the memberships would be needed, into 1 table. But I'm pondering how can it be done.

2. Writing a DNN module that interfaces with CS 1.0, stripping CS apart into different modules, i.e. Forums module, Blog module, Gallery module and so on. But CS dependencies on HttpContext is alot.

3. Stripping DNN apart and make it part of CS 1.0. I think that's the intention of CS, since I saw an empty web dll, which means the intention of having a Community Server - Web.

4. Quick hack. Sync between the databases and cookies. Which is what most people are doing now.

Personally, I think point 3 would be wonderful to try it out. What do you guys think? Which way is better?

2 comments:

icelava said...

There is a forum at Communityserver.org dedicated just for that integration.

triplez said...

I know. I was just pondering how it's going to be done. Waiting for them is killing me. Better keep my mind busy.