Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Designing with Web Standards

I just borrowed this book, "Designing with Web Standards" by Jeffrey Zeldman, from the library today (just 2.5 hours ago actually). It was recommended by the guy who wrote "Creating Websites by Hand" in the previous post, "Some Website Tips". Here's his website. http://www.zeldman.com/dwws/

I've just started reading it, and it looks quite interesting, in terms of that it's no ordinary "tutorial" book which teaches you everything, but more on coding design. It feels much like "Design Patterns" for websites.

So far, benefits of using CSS layout instead of table layout reduces your html code by more than half (wow... impressive), and because of that it improves the loading speed. The rest of the other benefits doesn't really seem that much of a biggy thing to me, but I'm really more interested in how this way of coding will actually help in my creation of custom controls for ASP.Net.

A few things I must clarify with my previous post on "Some Website Tips", for those who doesn't know, those codes are actually for custom controls. Just to add on to what I mentioned earlier, if you write your own custom controls, you'll end up having problems with your html close tags as it might have to exist in another file if you use the normal table layout concept. But if you use the CSS layout concept, meaning using <div> to style your layout, basically you can close your tags within the same file. So your entire custom control can exist within a <div> tag.

Now that's what I call proper coding. For web development.

Upcoming events:
I'll be going KL during this weekend (Saturday, 1 day) to attend the MIND meeting at the Twin Towers, so I might not be able to post on that day, but I'll post some pictures on Sunday. I hope I survive the coach trip, 5 hours there and 5 hours back. *Groans*

Anyway, I've got to sleep soon, but I'll leave you guys with a quote from Jeffrey Zeldman.

"Web Standards are a continuum, not a set of inflexible rules." - by Jeffrey Zeldman

2 comments:

@my T@nG said...

Emh.. hope to see u in KL too...By the way i wanna read the books too ... too bad ... hehe the book in singapore ...Tell me ur comment about the book then

triplez said...

I'll post a review on the book when I'm done with it. I'm not much of a reviewer, so most probably I'll end up writing more code than words. Anyway you can borrow it from your school library or public library. :)